The Demand Distribution curve illustrates how a TV show’s popularity compares to the demand benchmark, which is a measure of the average demand across all titles. The curve is divided into performance buckets, ranging from “Below Average” to “Exceptional”. A show falls into one of these performance buckets depending on how many times more or less demand it has compared to the demand benchmark.
The show’s performance is market-specific, e.g. the same show can be in the “Average” range in the United States and in the “Good” range in France.
As an example, if a show has 9 times more demand than the demand benchmark, it falls in the “Outstanding” performance range; only 2.7% of all shows in the market reach this high level of demand.
How can demand data analysis of "The Mentalist" in January 2024 in Canada help entertainment executives make more informed content decisions?
1. Content Valuation: Using demand data can aid estimation of the market value of a show. In this case, "The Mentalist" has 7.0 times the audience demand of the average show in Canada. Furthermore, demand for this show has been increasing recently, providing a strong indication of a potential increase in its market value.
2. Subscriber Acquisition and Retention: "The Mentalist" show is ranked at the 98.0th percentile in the drama genre; this means it has higher demand than 98.0% of all the drama titles in Canada. Therefore, if the goal is to attract or retain drama fans in Canada, acquiring or keeping the licensing rights to "The Mentalist" may be an excellent strategy.
3. Programming Decisions: "The Mentalist" is experiencing a decrease in audience demand in Canada, which may indicate that it's time to change the programming plans for this show or start focusing on more engaging storylines, new plot twists, or even host promotions to boost the show's popularity.
4. Expansion Decisions: "The Mentalist" has outstanding travelability and a global performance within the six dimensions of the Parrot Pulse measure. "The Mentalist" is doing well globally and is outperforming the average TV show in each of the top ten markets. Acquiring streaming rights to "The Mentalist" may be a good acquisition decision for any content distributor or SVOD platform looking to expand its services globally.
5. Competitive Benchmarking: By comparing "The Mentalist" with other TV shows in the market, executives can determine where this show ranks. In Canada, "The Mentalist" peaked with a rank of #419, but it dropped 182 spots during January 2024, making it less competitive than other shows in its timeslot.
6. Strategic Partnerships: By analyzing other shows that fans of "The Mentalist" also like, such as "The Blacklist," "Elementary," and "Game of Thrones," an entertainment talent agency can find actors whose work resonates with the same audience. This way, they can make informed decisions about strategic partnerships with these actors, which could be used to expand the show's fandom, thereby increasing its demand.
In conclusion, entertainment executives can leverage demand data to make informed decisions about content valuation, programming, acquisition, expansion, benchmarking, and strategic partnerships. Furthermore, demand data analysis can also aid with decisions about franchise spin-offs and renewal plans, production budget allocation, and marketing strategies. Parrot Analytics has a sophisticated content valuation system that provides insights into market demand and supply by constantly analyzing viewer consumption patterns globally.
The Mentalist's travelability to Canada in the last 30 days is 43%, which means that the audience demand for The Mentalist is 43% of the demand in its country of origin, United States. Click through to another market to discover how well The Mentalist travels internationally.
Answer one question and put our thinking to work on your challenges.
Who are you in the industry?
Capture more value from content opportunities in Canada as well as globally. Contact us now to leverage audience profiling, market-based insights, talent scoring and genre clustering to de-risk production investments. Discover new business opportunities in the Drama genre and assess the strengths and weakness of the competition’s content e.g. CBS, leading to increased commercial efficiency and ROI.
Support casting decisions with empirical market data for Canada. Contact us now to reveal hidden talent insights, through a combination of affinity and trait analysis, encompassing both global and market-based factors to determine who is truly worth an investment. Discover new business opportunities and assess the strengths and weakness of the competition’s offerings including specific titles such as The Mentalist.
Produce with confidence whilst mitigating downside risks. Contact us now to decrease production risks by combining content genome insights with demand data to increase the likelihood of a successful series: Gain deep insights into character, talent, setting, plot, theme and genre preferences, including Drama. Using audience demand data, explore markets such as Canada to discover lucrative new sales opportunities whilst evaluating the expected ROI for new series acquisitions such as The Mentalist from partners like CBS.
Studios in Canada are now empowered to fuse art with science for the next global hit. Contact us to gain deep insights into target audiences’ character, talent, setting, plot, theme and genre preferences (e.g. Drama) - for both local and global content. Find the best performing concepts with demand-driven concept testing and development. Apply talent demand to gain a holistic view of future content performance, pre-development.
Are you seeking distribution for The Mentalist? Lead global content negotiations with authority. Contact us now to discover if you should prioritize markets such as Canada, based on country-specific audience demand - including territories where commercial rights have not yet been granted. Apply a demand-based framework to negotiations with potential distribution partners such as CBS to maximize the deal value. Assess the strengths and weakness of the competition’s content, leading to increased commercial efficiency and ROI.
Maximize advertising revenues from new audiences in Canada. Contact us now to leverage a return-focused selection criteria for title acquisition from CBS by incorporating country-specific trend and market demand factors. Appeal to audience interests using demand-driven advertising and personalize campaigns to capitalize on pre-release demand for specific titles such as The Mentalist. Access audience taste clusters weeks ahead of a premiere, resulting in high impact campaigns for titles that have not even been released.
Acquire the best shows from partners such as CBS to fortify your competitive position in Canada. Contact us now to access audience taste clusters weeks ahead of a premiere, resulting in high impact campaigns for titles (e.g. The Mentalist), including those that have not even been released. Leverage a return-focused selection criteria for title acquisition by incorporating country-specific trend and market demand factors.
Command your Drama genre niche with maximum net subscriber adds. Contact us now to harnesses audience demand data to gain insights for growing and keeping a subscriber base. Leverage a return-focused selection criteria for title acquisition from partners such as CBS by incorporating country-specific trend and market demand factors for all markets including Canada. Appeal to the individuality of your audience base, taking into consideration the unique and limitless characteristics of taste clusters.
Deploy high impact entertainment marketing strategies across all genres including Drama. Contact us now to deploy demand-driven marketing, the only empirical earned media measure of your marketing spend. Access audience taste clusters weeks ahead of a premiere, resulting in high impact campaigns for titles such as The Mentalist, including those that have not even been released. Appeal to your target markets, including Canada, based on audience interests, enabling the personalization of campaigns to capitalize on pre-release demand.
Our TV audience measurement dataset is truly global. Discover how popular CBS‘s The Mentalist is in any of the following selected markets. Need data for other markets? Find out more about DEMAND360LITE.
Parrot Analytics is the leading global content demand analytics company for the multi-platform business of television. With the world’s largest TV audience demand dataset, the company currently tracks more than 1.5B daily expressions of demand in 100 languages, not only in Canada, but also in 100+ other markets around the world to reveal the television content that consumers watch (viewership) and give their attention to the most.
Parrot Analytics' television demand data highlights the global TV content monetization opportunities for CBS and thousands of TV studios, linear networks, broadcasters, pay TV providers and OTT / SVOD platforms.
Unlike TV ratings, our DemandRank TV rating system ensures that important demand signals are weighted more heavily than others: The more consumer effort required; the more importance is attached to each signal. Once all the signals are weighted and combined, the audience demand for The Mentalist, for example, can be assessed for a market e.g. Canada, which can then be benchmarked against genre averages (e.g. Procedural Drama), using our globally standardized Demand Expressions® metric.
This page has been reconstructed on Feb. 28, 2024, 1 p.m. PST using global tv demand data from Parrot Analytics for The Mentalist in Canada. We provide our partners with comprehensive subscription-video-on-demand analyses to help them drive better and more informed content distribution strategies. Contact us today to find out more.